We all have the best of intentions when it comes to writing in journals. We encourage our students to do it daily, but sometimes we do not take the time to do ourselves. Make starting a daily journal part of your New Year’s plan. Whether you write in a spiral bound notebook or create a private blog to journal on, you may find that it is a great way to reflect on what is going on in your life.
One of the most challenging parts of journaling is figuring out what you are going to write about on any given day. That’s why we have come up with 50 journal prompts just for you. Choose a different prompt below for each day and before you know it, journaling will become a part of your daily routine.
50 Journal Prompts for Teachers
1. What are your goals for the day?
2. What is one thing you want to do today and why?
3. Write about five things that make you happy.
4. Write about a day you will never forget.
5. What do you want your legacy to be?
6. Where do you want to live and why?
7. Write about 3 things about yourself that you love.
8. Write about 1 thing that you would change about yourself.
9. What is your greatest strength?
10. What is your secret fear?
11. What would you do differently?
12. How do you want your students to remember you?
13. What challenges you most about teaching?
14. What is the most rewarding thing about teaching for you?
15. Who has been your most memorable student and why?
16. What is one thing you are looking forward to this coming school year?
17. What was a highlight of last school year?
18. If you were not a teacher, what would you want to be?
19. What is one activity you would love to try, but haven’t yet?
20. How would you describe your teaching style?
21. If you had no traditional teaching supplies at all, what would you use to teach your students?
22. What is the most important lesson you have ever learned?
23. What is the most important lesson you want to teach your students?
24. Who has had the biggest impact on your life in a positive way?
25. What are you going to do/have done today to make yourself happy?
26. Describe your quiet spot of rest.
27. Write about a quote or verse that has inspired you.
28. Describe a perfect morning for you.
29. Describe a perfect evening for you.
30. What is one path you are glad you did not take?
31. Write about a person you love.
32. Describe your ideal vacation.
33. Write about a funny experience or time in your life.
34. What or who challenges you the most to be a better person?
35. Write about something you have done that you thought you would never do.
36. Write a letter to yourself at 16 years old.
37. Write a letter to yourself at 90 years old.
38. What do you need to let go of?
39. What is your favorite thing to do to relax?
40. When are you at your best during the day?
41. What was the funniest thing said by your students/children today.
42. What motivated you the most today?
43. What was the silliest thing you heard today?
44. What was the cutest outfit you saw today?
45. What was the most interesting thing you saw on your way to work/while out?
46. What was the most disgusting item on the cafeteria menu/restaurant menu today?
47. What has been the saddest thing a child has ever told you?
48. Write about the funniest excuses you have heard for students not doing their homework.
49. What is one thing you learned from someone else today?
50. What was the best part of your day?
What are some of your favorite journal prompts? Share them with us below.