Summer is on the way, but that doesn’t mean that teachers actually take a break. Mentally, we are always on and thinking about our classrooms and students.
But we, as people, are important too. And it’s important for us to take some time to recharge and relax over summer. Reignite that fire and prepare mentally for the upcoming school year.
But if you’re like me, meant to be a teacher and dedicated to “the job” (let’s be honest, it’s more than a “job”), you may struggle to relax over summer. You might take the first week of summer break off, and then you’re itching for some classroom DIY and organization.
Here are 5 ways for you to really relax over summer and enjoy your much needed and deserved break.
1. Reflect on the past school year.
- You won’t be able to fully relax until you reflect, write it all down, and get it out of your head. What worked well last school year? What would you change? Is there something new you want to try? Write it all down. Then put that list somewhere you’ll remember when back to school comes around. You don’t need the list right away, but because you’ve written it all down, you won’t constantly be trying to remember everything all summer. Now you’ll be able to mentally relax.
2. Read a book.
- It can be any book you want. A best seller, an old favorite, or a recommendation from a friend. And it doesn’t need to be reading to learn something. Read for fun!
3. Try something new.
- Go to a yoga class. Take a hike. Cook a new meal. Learn a new skill. Get a massage. Explore a neighboring city. Do something you’ve always wanted to do. Now is the time!
4. Actually take a vacation… or a staycation!
- Grab your family (or friends) and take a vacation. A much needed, well deserved vacation. You don’t need to stay at a 5-star, all-inclusive resort or go away for an entire week. This vacation is all about you relaxing and is not about busting your budget. Two days, extended weekends, or even pitching a tent in your own backyard with your kids… any kind of ‘cation you want!
5. Visit with family and friends.
- The school year is busy. Back to school is even busier. Use your summer break to visit with family and friends you haven’t seen in awhile. Go have lunch with your teammates from school too! Enjoy the time catching up with loved ones and cherish it.
Whether you try one of these ideas or all of them… ya’ll, summer break is the time to recharge your superpowers! You ARE amazing and you DO deserve to take some time for you to relax too. Don’t ever forget it.