Create a packet for parents to take home with them after Back-to-School or Open House Night. It is an easy way to make sure everyone has the same information and can ask any questions before the year progresses. What should you include in your Open House Parent Packet? Print out the checklist below to help keep you organized and make sure you have everything you need in the folders.
What to Put in a Parent Packet for Back to School Night
- Your business card (or business card magnet) with the phone number you’d like parents to use to call you and the hours you can be reached.
- Paperwork that the school/district requires them to complete.
- A Behavior Contract that they must sign.
- Classroom & Behavior Management Policies
- Grading Policy
- Homework Policy
- Supply List
- Wish List
- Independent Reading Program
- Class Schedule
- Survey about their child (i.e., allergies, likes/dislikes, name preference, glasses, etc.)
- Volunteer Jobs List
- Policy regarding food in the classroom (i.e., no nuts, no sweets, etc.)
- Calendar of important dates (i.e., parent-teacher conferences, holidays, half-days,etc.)
- Class Blog Policy & Guidelines
- A Suggestion Box Card or Index Card
Start planning early and have a helper assist you in assembling the packets. Use plain manila folders or pocket folders.
What else do you include in your Parent Packet? Share with us!